Log Cabin Republicans Endorses Jim Jeffords for US Senate
An Incomparable 26 Years of Congressional Leadership – A True Champion
(WASHINGTON, DC) – The nation's largest gay Republican organization endorsed Senator Jim Jeffords of Vermont for re-election, and declared his re-election as a "top priority race" for 2000.
"Jim Jeffords has an incomparable record of leadership and accomplishment as a senior Republican Senator, and in his years of service in the House and Senate, he has been there to fight for us and lead," said Rich Tafel, executive director of Log Cabin Republicans. "There is no other Republican that can rival what Jim Jeffords has meant to our community in the U.S. Senate, and we will commit whatever resources are necessary to ensure he is re-elected by a wide margin in November."
Tafel criticized the recent decision by the Human Rights Campaign to issue a "dual endorsement" of Jeffords and his Democratic opponent, State Auditor Ed Flanagan, who is openly gay and was elected to state office in 1992.
"You cannot compare 26 years of service in Congress, and the caliber of leadership of Jim Jeffords, with the record of Ed Flanagan," Tafel said. "A dual endorsement is no endorsement at all – everyone in politics understands that. It seems that HRC's criteria changes with every election, and their actions never seem to show the least bit of courage or principle. It is disappointing, but will not affect our efforts to re-elect Senator Jeffords."
Just a Few Highlights of the Jeffords Record:
- Chief Senate Sponsor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, 1997-present
- Senate Co-Sponsor of Employment Non-Discrimination Act (1994-1997)
- Chairman, Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, with oversight over employment discrimination; AIDS treatment, care, research and prevention programs; gay and lesbian health issues (1997-present)
- Chairman, Senate D.C. Appropriations Subcommittee – chief strategic opponent of anti-gay riders on D.C. appropriation bills (1995-1996)
- GOP Floor Strategist, Senate Vote on ENDA, 1996
- Chaired Senate hearings on ENDA, 1997
- Chief Senate Sponsor of the Ryan White CARE Act reauthorization (1999-2000)
- Senate Co-Sponsor of Ryan White CARE Act (1990, reauthorization 1995-96)
- Senate Co-Sponsor of Hate Crimes Prevention Act (1998-present)
- Senate Supporter of Feinstein Amendment on hate crimes sentencing enhancement to Omnibus Crime Bill (1993)
- Senate Co-Sponsor of Hate Crimes Statistics Act (1989-90)
- Senate Co-Sponsor of Americans with Disabilities Act (1989-90)
- House Co-Sponsor of Americans with Disabilities Act (1988)
- House Co-Sponsor of Hate Crimes Statistics Act (1988)
- Supporter of Vermont Civil Unions Law
- Founding Member, Log Cabin Republicans National Advisory Board
Visit Jim Jeffords' 2000 Senate Campaign Website at www.JimJeffords2000.com.