Tell Your Republican Representatives to Vote No on the Hefley Amendment
Log Cabin Republicans calls on everyone to call YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVE
AND URGE THEM TO VOTE NO on the Hefley Amendment. There may be a vote AS
EARLY AS TODAY (Wednesday, July 15, 1998)
1. Rep. Joel Hefley (R-CO) has announced he will offer an amendment to the Treasury, Postal appropriations bill, due to hit the floor of the House as early as TODAY. Hefley could offer the amendment at any time during consideration.
2. The manager of the Treasury, Postal bill is CONGRESSMAN JIM KOLBE (R-AZ), Chairman of the Treasury, Postal appropriations subcommittee and the HIGHEST RANKING OPENLY GAY MEMBER OF THIS CONGRESS.
3. The Hefley amendment will roll back President Clinton's executive order creating a uniform standard across the executive branch on non-discrimination based on sexual orientation. Currently, the policy is that sexual orientation is NOT A CONSIDERATION IN HIRING, FIRING OR PROMOTION in the executive branch – the most BASIC non-discrimination policy possible, and the IDENTICAL POLICY which over 70 House Republicans have in THEIR Congressional offices. THE HEFLEY AMENDMENT WILL ROLL BACK THAT POLICY IN THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH.
4. The Hefley Amendment is WRONG – legislatively, politically and morally wrong. If it passes, the message will be that Congress SUPPORTS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST GAY PEOPLE, pure and simple.
5. This is a slap in the face to Rep. Jim Kolbe, who will lead the opposition. To offer this blatantly anti-gay amendment to his bill is evidence that the religious right will stop at nothing to push their radical agenda, even by personally insulting an appropriations subcommittee chairman.
To the list of targeted Republican Members of the House:
STAND BY JIM KOLBE. STAND BY YOUR OWN PUBLICLY STATED OFFICE POLICY. STAND BY THE NON-DISCRIMINATION PRINCIPLES THAT YOU HAVE PLEDGED TO UPHOLD. VOTE NO ON THE HEFLEY AMENDMENT!
GIBBONS (NV) GILCHREST (MD)
LA TOURETTE (OH)
LO BIONDO (NJ)
MC INNIS (CO)