Log Cabin Republicans Join GOP Mayors in Support of ENDA
Washington, D.C. - Today Log Cabin Republicans announced a robust list of influential Republican mayors from across the country who support passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
Last year, the U.S. Senate passed ENDA with an overwhelming, bi-partisan majority. In an effort to continue that momentum and show the need and desire for the bill's passage in this Congress, Log Cabin Republicans has spearheaded a campaign to show that ENDA has the support of Republican leaders across the United States and its passage this year should be a priority of Republicans in the House of Representatives.
"In a workplace environment, people should be judged on their merit and the quality of their work product," said Mayor Brian Smith of Irvington, New York. "This is an issue that started for me 40 years ago when one of the greatest Mayors, Ed Koch, was pushing for this while he was in Congress. The fact that it hasn't been passed in 40 years is a disgrace. I believe history will look poorly on anyone who doesn't support ENDA, whether it's 50 years from now or 10 years from now. America is - and should be - a place where the freedom to be who you are should not be a barrier to your ability to have a job and provide for your family."
Today, thousands of hard working Americans face a real risk of being denied a promotion, experiencing harassment on the job, or even being fired based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.
"The version of ENDA that passed the Senate last year not only has the support of Republicans in Washington, but also of GOP leaders throughout the United States," Log Cabin Republicans Executive Director Gregory T. Angelo stated. "Right now, in a majority of states, there are no state laws prohibiting an employer from firing or refusing to hire someone simply because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. It is time for the House to hear the message of these Republican mayors: pass ENDA now and give all hardworking Americans the workplace protections they deserve."
The following is a list of Republican mayors who are standing with Log Cabin Republicans and urging Congress to pass ENDA this year.
Republican Mayors for ENDA (Committee still in formation)
- Scott Avedisian - Warwick, RI
- Robert Blais - Lake George, NY
- Dale Berman - North Aurora, IL
- Jim Brainard - Carmel, IN
- William Brown - Riverton, NJ
- Kevin Burns - Geneva, IL
- Frank Catalina - Peekskill, NY
- Suzette Cooke - Kent, WA
- John Dennis - West Lafayette, IN
- Nicholas DeSantis - New Stanton, PA
- Mark Epley - Southampton, NY
- Timothy Hanna - Appleton, WI
- Sophie Heymann - Closter, NJ
- Scott Kaupin - Enfield, CT
- Marvin Natiss - North Hills, NY
- Michael Nohilly - Interlaken, NJ
- Sarah Reinhardt - Spring Park, MN
- Angelo "Skip" Saviano - Elmwood Park, IL
- Sarah Sherwood - Abbeville, SC
- Brian Smith - Irvington, NY
- Jill Techel - Napa, CA
- Pam Triolo - Lake Worth, FL
- Bruce Kennedy - Sea Cliff, NY
- Jerry Sanders - Past San Diego, CA Mayor